What could be better than a traditional vanilla sponge topped with summer fruits: strawberries, raspberries and blueberries? Our fruits are available for such a short season we felt we would have to make this for you, simple but oh so delicious.
- 8 oz. Self Raising Flour
- 8 oz. Castor Sugar
- 8 oz. Devonshire Butter
- 4 Free Range Eggs (room temperature not from the fridge)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract.
Vanilla Buttercream and topping
- 12 oz. Icing Sugar
- 1 Tbs Devonshire Butter
- Splash of Milk
- 1 Tbs Vanilla Extract
- 350g Summer Fruits
1. Grease with butter and dust with flour two 21cms cake tins. Heat the oven to 180c
2. Beat the softened butter with the castor sugar using an electric hand mixer or cake mixer until pale and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one a time and whisking between each one. If your mixture begins to curdle add a tbs. of the flour. Add the vanilla extract whisk through.
4. Fold in half the sieved flour, whisk on a low speed to gently fold through, then again with the other half.
5. Divide the mixture into the two greased cake tins. Bake for about 20-25 mins.
6. Make the buttercream by mixing together the sieved icing sugar, softened butter, vanilla extract and a splash of milk until a good creamy consistency.
7. When the sponge is cooked remove from the oven and after 5 minutes turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
8. When the cake is cold, divide the butter cream and spread between the sponges and on top. Lastly decorate the top with the summer fruits.