Chorizo and Red Pepper Compote
Spicy rich compote packed with flavour, a perfect accompaniment for barbecues or used as a relish in a wrap. This recipe is best made the day before and keeps well in the fridge for several days. We used a local Devon Chorizo from The Insalting Pig which is available for sale during our Christmas period but any good quality chorizo would be fine.
- 2 Red Onions chopped
- 100g Chorizo
- 8 large Red Peppers
- 1 Tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbs Bell & Loxton Garlic Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Tube Tomato Puree
1. Finely chop the red onions. Next cut the peppers into thin strips and remove the pips. Cut the chorizo into bite sized pieces.
2. In a heavy based saucepan fry the red onion, chopped garlic and chorizo in the garlic oil to release the flavours for about 10 minutes until the onion has softened, stir in the smoked paprika.
3. Add all the sliced peppers and cook for 10 minutes on a medium heat with the saucepan lid on until they start to soften. Stir occasionally so the peppers don’t burn.
4. Add the tomato puree and enough water to make a sauce and cook for about half an hour, occasionally add a bit of water to keep a sauce consistency if necessary.
5. Pour into a serving dish and leave to get cold. Serve with barbequed meats, in a wrap or as a salad.