As the summer comes to end there is still an abundance of courgettes, peppers and tomatoes available to make something special before we start thinking about wintery casseroles. This delicious roasted vegetable salad can be served as lunch or a light supper with crusty olive bread and a glass of Devon cider!
Roasted Vegetables & Mozzarella Salad.
- 2 tbs. Olive Oil
- 2 Large Red Onions halved and quartered.
- 100g Fresh Basil Leaves
- 4 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 3 Large Red Peppers
- 3 Large Yellow Peppers
- 250g Baby Plum Tomatoes
- 3 Medium Courgettes
- 1 Large Aubergine
- 250g Mozzarella
- Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper
- 150g Couscous
- 250ml Chicken Stock
- 1 Tsp. Butter
- 1 Tube Tomato Puree
- 1 Lime Zest and Juice
- 100g Pine Nuts
- 1 Tsp. Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tbs Coriander Seeds lightly crushed
- 1 Tsp. Flaked Chilli Seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 220*C. Cut all the vegetables except the baby plum tomatoes into 1-1.5 inch pieces. Place all the vegetables including the whole tomatoes into a roasting tin, add the garlic, freshly ground salt and pepper and basil leaves and toss well in the olive oil until everything is evenly coated. (Reserving a few leaves for decoration). Roast at the top of the oven for about 40 mins until soft and lightly browned. When cooked take out of the oven to cool.
2. While the vegetables are roasting take a small frying pan and place it over the heat with no oil and roast the pine nuts, cumin, chilli and coriander seeds, take of the heat and leave to cool.
3. Next place the couscous in a bowl and pour over 250ml of chicken stock, add plenty of freshly ground black pepper and salt, add the butter then break up with a fork and leave until the couscous has softened, leave to cool.
4. Take the roasted nuts and seeds and mix with a whole tube of tomato puree, add salt and freshly ground pepper, olive oil, tsp. brown sugar and the juice and rind of the lime.
5. Cut the mozzarella into cubes.
6. To assemble mix together the roasted vegetables and any juices from the roasting pan with the couscous and mozzarella and fold through the dressing.